Directions for Applicants
The Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing offers a fellowship of up to $4,000 to faculty from all disciplines from colleges and universities, to support historical research in nursing and healthcare. Selection of faculty fellows will be based on evidence of preparation and/or productivity in historical research related to nursing and healthcare. It is expected that the research produced by Buhler-Wilkerson fellows will help ensure the growth of scholarly work focused on the history of nursing and healthcare. Buhler-Wilkerson fellows will participate in Center activities, provide a brief written summary of their research, and, if feasible, will present their research at a Center seminar.
Recipients of the award from international institutions must comply with U.S. State Department, University of Pennsylvania, and School of Nursing regulations.
The Center’s collections are searchable through http://www.nursing.upenn.edu/history
For all applicants
Within one year of receiving the fellowship, please submit a report [no more than 500 words] for possible publication in the Center’s Chronicle.
- How did you get interested in this topic?
- In what ways did your Bates Center fellowship advance your topic?
- What did you find most interesting or useful in the Bates Center’s collections?
- What are your next steps to finish your project, or how did this project situate you for your next project?
Deadline for submission of applications: February 1, 2017. Date of awards: March 31, 2017.
The application should be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application is not complete until you receive an email confirming that it has been received. If you do not receive this confirmation within one week, please call 215-898-4502.
The application should not exceed 6 double-spaced pages. The outline below specifies the information which should be included in your application.
- Begin with a concise statement of the research that you wish to do in the Center.
- Create a narrative describing your project placed within the context of the present state of historical knowledge. This narrative should include background, sources, appropriate citations, and other research support.
- Explain, if appropriate, the parts of the Center’s collections that you will use to achieve your aims. The Center’s collections are searchable through www.nursing.upenn.edu/history.
- Outline and itemize budget detailing the ways that you will be using the fellowship and briefly justify the items.
- Please attach your current CV to your application. Your CV is not included in the page count.
International Visitors: Please submit the School of Nursing Global Health International Visitors Application in addition to all of the items listed above.