Directions for Applicants
The Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing offers a fellowship of up to $3,000 to support research and ongoing collaboration with Center historians. Selection of Alice Fisher Society fellows will be based on evidence of interest in, and aptitude for, historical research related to nursing and healthcare. The scholarships are open to those with masters’ and doctoral level preparation. It is expected that the research produced by Alice Fisher Society scholars will help ensure the growth of scholarship focused on the history of nursing and healthcare. Fisher fellows will participate in Center activities, provide a brief written summary of their research and, if feasible, will present their research at a Center seminar. We are grateful to the Alumni of the Philadelphia General Hospital School of Nursing, who established this fellowship.
Recipients of the award from international institutions must comply with U.S. State Department, University of Pennsylvania, and School of Nursing regulations.
The Center’s collections are searchable through www.nursing.upenn.edu/history.
For all applicants
Within one year of receiving the fellowship, please submit a report [no more than 500 words] for possible publication in the Center’s Chronicle.
- How did you get interested in this topic?
- In what ways did your Bates Center fellowship advance your topic?
- What did you find most interesting or useful in the Bates Center’s collections?
- What are your next steps to finish your project, or how did this project situate you for your next project?
Deadline for submission of applications: February 1, 2017. Date of awards: March 31, 2017.
The application should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com. The application is not complete until you receive an email confirming that it has been received. If you do not receive this confirmation within one week, please call 215-898-4502.
The application should not exceed 6 double-spaced pages. The outline below specifies the information which should be included in your application.
- Begin with a concise statement of the research that you wish to do in the Center.
- Create a narrative describing your project placed within the context of the present state of historical knowledge. This narrative should include background, sources, appropriate citations, and other research support.
- Explain, if appropriate, the parts of the Center’s collections that you will use to achieve your aims. The Center’s collections are searchable through www.nursing.upenn.edu/history.
- Outline and itemize budget detailing the ways that you will be using the fellowship and briefly justify the items.
- Please attach your current CV to your application. Your CV is not included in the page count.
International Visitors: Please submit the School of Nursing Global Health International Visitors Application in addition to all of the items listed above.